Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

The instrument cluster on my 2012 camry is not lighting up

Customer Question
nor are the tach, gas...
the instrument cluster on my 2012 camry is not lighting up nor are the tach, gas guage, speedometer etcj working.... if it is just a fuse which one do you think it is.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just went start it this morning and the lights didnèt come on in the cluster. the open door beeper started to be a steady whine a couple of days ago. The motor runs and the car seems to operate correctly (to the end of the driveway anyway)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
3/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have a voltmeter any reasonable knowledge of how to use it? Do the headlights and taillights work? Do the power windows and power door locks work? Are there any warning lights illuminated in the instrument panel? In other words check engine light brake light vehicle skid control light or similar?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have a voltmeter (im an electrician).....head lights work....tail lights work .......windows work ....open door light works signal lights do not work.....wiper work ...lights on radio cluster work eg fan and lights, ac lights ,radio etc power doors work

Any Aftermarket radios or any installations done to this recently that could cause the instrument cluster to go dark including all the gauges to not work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

OK, let me look at the wiring diagram and see what our options are and what is common amongst those things that are not working on the display. It is a little busy in the shop just now this may take a few to get everything together.

Just to clarify the fuel gauge temperature gauge speedometer and tachometer do not work along with the cluster being dark correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct

OK

Check these fuses to see if they are blown or have 12v to them. 10 A ECU-B NO.1 5A Meter-IG2 15 A turn&HAZ These are all in the fuse box under the hood and are the main power supply to the combination meter. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do not see ecu-b 10 amp i will go check the other two
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
found it

What is the results of these fuses?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are all good

do they have 12 volts to them? The fuel gauge reading empty or full? Does the temperature gauge indicate cold or hot? Missing any codes in the computer? When you turn the key to the on position does the yellow check engine light illuminate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did not check the voltage.....the fuel gauge reads off the scale empty ....temp cold..no light......no check engine light

Do any of the warning lights come on? The ABS light or so on? Do have a code reader to see if it will communicate with the ECU?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked the voltage at the fuses checked and there is 12v. no warning lights come on and i do not have a code reader.

The next step will be gaining access to the back of the combination meter where the plug goes in the combination meter. We need to confirm that the voltage is getting to the wires that are being fed by those fuses if those voltages check okay then the problem is in the combination meter itself. I would for safety sake turn the key to the on position and check the voltage to all of the fuses there may be underlying fuses that feed subsystems that report back to the combination meter also. Even the fuses in the box under the left side of the dash.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the only lights that come on in the clusteer area is open door signal and lights on ...high and low beam

You are 100% certain the fuses I listed are good? The 5A meter-ig fuse is the power supply to the check engine light and others. The bezel around the cluster has to come out then unscrew the cluster and pull it.

I have to step out for an hour or so. I will be back on lat this evening.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician