Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2007 Tacoma 4.0 liter. Making a bad noise on the

Customer Question
driver's side at the very...
I have a 2007 Tacoma 4.0 liter. Making a bad noise on the driver's side at the very front of the engine. Louder than a valve tick but much faster and more sporadic than a bearing knock. It sounded more like a bucket of 1/2 inch wrenches being tossed around. 150,000 miles. I cut the oil filter open and it had a few flakes in it but no glittery stuff. I thought it was about what I would expect to see. I didn't see anything wrong with the timing chain at all. I learned a little about the variable valve timing gears and wondered if they could make that noise if they develop a problem but nobody seems to know anything about them. Now I have a truck half taken apart and don't know what to do. I wonder if it can be internal or if is as simple as the compressor, power steering, or alternator. Or is in internal? What is the smartest thing to do at this point? I'm stuck.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
3/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have a picture of what you've taken apart so far? Did you get an audio clip of the noise before disassembling? Has the check engine light been on recently or have you checked for codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No picture. Got audio but not of the noise when it got loud. It was so bad I switched it off instantly. There were codes for crank and cam sensor.

Do you have the code numbers? can you post the audio clip?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't remember the codes right this second and I already sent you the audio clips in one of the previous questions.

Sorry but there are no attachments or links to any audio clips that I can see on my end. Can you try and attach them to this thread that we been replying to? If you did not remove the battery cable can you rescan the car and see if the codes are still set in the history portion of the computer? Those codes would be important to try to determine what's causing the noise.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Battery cable has been removed. Audio clips cannot be attached here. I went through this last time, sent it to moderator and they sent it to you. I think it's probably better to pass this on to another tech.

This is the same clattering I heard a couple weeks ago you will need to change the actuator as I recall there were timing codes along with severe noise from the camshaft actuator and timing chain that the mileage is on this if you're planning on keeping the truck I strongly recommend replacing both actuators the can guides in the sensor. You also need to remove the valve cover and check the bearing caps for the camshaft to make sure there's no starvation of oil. If that's the case you will be better off getting a used engine. The only thing that came to my mind on that is if the oil filter collapsed because the metal sleeve or cone was not in the oil filter housing if the oil filter collapses and does allow enough oil pressure it will make that same noise and set all of the timing codes.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician