Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a Toyota Sienna 2000. It was involved in a minor

Customer Question
accident when the rear bumper...
I have a Toyota Sienna 2000. It was involved in a minor accident when the rear bumper was hit by a tree while reversing the minivan.
This caused the passenger side sliding to randomly show door ajar sign, and to turn on the interior lights. I have had the sensor replaced and adjusted several times but the problem reappears every few weeks.
Is there a way to permanently fix the problem or to remove the door ajar sensing of the specific door or all doors so that I don't have to worry about battery drain?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
3/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you know for sure which door it is that is keeping the light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Passenger side sliding door.

If you use a screw driver to close the latches and then push the door pin switch in with your hand does the dome light and door adjar light go out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I have no idea what you are talking about.

We have to determine whether or not it is a latch issue or a pin switch issue do you know where the door pin switch is that activates the dome lights when the door is open?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

It is a pin switch issue because it works fine every time the mechanic adjusts it.

There really is no adjustment on this. The only thing you can do is put a washer behind the pin switch to move the switch out so that it contacts the door fully or put a small piece of felt tape on the door so it pushes on the switch itself. The only other option is to remove the pin switch and disconnect electrical connector then reinstall the switch so there is no hole there.

The pin switch simply makes a ground when the door is opened.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

1. Where do I put a washer, on the piece that is on the frame or the one that is on the sliding door.

2. How do I deactivate the sensors?

3. Is there a fuse to turn off the lights so that that the battery does not drain?

You need to unbolt the 10 mm bolt that holds switch to the body. Put the small washer between the switch and the body then run the bolt through the switch to the washer and bolted down to the body. The Dome light fuse under the hood controls power to the lights. I am not sure what you mean by deactivate the sensors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I mean how to deactivate the switch/sensor so that even if the door is ajar the lights don't come on.

Unfortunate the wires behind the switch are not removable.

There is a connector to that switch is just further inside the body panel the interior trim has to be removed to gain access to that. Short of pulling the fuse there is not the way to deactivate the door ajar system. I suppose you could just clip that wire put a piece of tape over it that would solve the same problem for that door.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician