Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have had my car some time, I have done all the maintenance

I have had my car for quite some time, I have done all the maintenance on my car and was wondering rather I need to set the timing for my 2001 Toyota Camry. And if so, can I also do that myself and how?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: That was my question.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No.
JA: Our top Toyota Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Toyota Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Toyota Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.

Can you please clarify what you mean by should you set your timing? How many miles do you have on the vehicle and are you referring to the ignition timing? Is this a four-cylinder engine or V-6 engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm about to change the oil, spark plugs, air filter, and oil filter, just wanted to know about the timing. Trying to due a tune up to the car. I have just over 177,000, and I don't know if it's the ignition timing or any other timing, and it's a four cylinder.

This car does not have any ignition timing to set. The computer controls the ignition timing completely. This is a distributorless ignition system. You have two coil packs that are controlled by the computer to control the ignition spark depending on engine load RPM and so on. The timing belt on this engine is supposed to be replaced every 90,000 miles and no more than 110,000 miles. That is something completely different. If the timing belt has already been done and you're simply doing a tuneup it is very simple just replace the plugs and filters in oil and you are good to go there is no ignition timing setting on this. Please do not forget to rate the information that I provided to you at three or higher and if you need additional input feel free to reply and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what about the one of my distributors not firing, it the one on the far left that it usually has the most deposit on the plug. Is there something to that?

I'm not sure what you mean by one of your distributors not firing. This does not have a distributor. Are you referring to a cylinder misfire and has the check engine light on recently? Do you mean the spark plugs are carboned over or have deposits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I'm referring to the wires that attach to each individual spark plug, the one on the far left usually has deposit on it and was wondering if this could develop into a problem?

If the deposits are severe it is possible the wires may need to be replaced. Those four wires go to the individual coil packs. If you get high resistance in the wire sometimes the wires will arc or burn causing problems. Use quality ignition wires when you replace them and I prefer only Denso spark plugs.