Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

There is a loud clatter in the area of the pulleys for the

Customer Question

there is a loud clatter in the area of the pulleys for the alternator ,water pump...but I took a stethoscope and placed it on the valve cover and heard the clatter coming from the engine in the location of where the timing chain would be ...seeing this yaris has a chain it sounds as if a tension guide or something came loose the clatter stops at certain rpms and just started yesterday there is 125k on the engine it was my daughter's car from first day out of the showroom and oil changed every 4k miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: don't have the time and because of work schedule it doesn't make it any easier... and I hate to mess up my manicure
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no I just got this car from my daughter a month ago.. seems I get all the luck with vehicles... I was surprised on its performance, very good on gas and isn't lame on the highway either...perhaps why the darn chain is stretched , I am rough on my rides
JA: Our top Toyota Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Toyota Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Toyota Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Most likely, you have a failed hydraulic timing chain tensioner. This unit receives oil pressure form the oil pump and is pushed out via the oil pressure, against the chain. This takes any looseness out of the chain. Since you have maintained this car, I would doubt you need a chain....based on replacements of more than a few hydraulic tensioners, I would think that this is your problem.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.