Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2002 Toyota Avalon MGCLT relay is clicking. Car only starts

Customer Question

2002 Toyota Avalon
MGCLT relay is clicking.
Car only starts with foot on gas pedal. When I take my foot off the gas it kills.
LL, Loreauville, LA
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.

Has any work been done to the vehicle lately? Battery change perhaps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing done. No battery change.

Did both of these problems start at exactly the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer, Please allow me to assist you. Please advise on the current mileage of this car; thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
120,000 miles. Had never had problems before.

Thank you. The most common issue we see on these cars, when brought to the shop, is a faulty Idle Air Control ("IAC") valve. The IAC does exactly what its name implies; it allows a specific amount of air to enter the engine which adjusts the idle speed of the car. In some cases, like with the AC on, the IAC opens up to allow more idle. It closes off on deceleration, and then reopens to the amount of open that the computer dictates. What has most likely happened here is the IAC is in its closed position. This is what allows the engine to run with the foot on the throttle and stalls out when the foot is off of the throttle. The rectification for this issue is replacement of the IAC valve. Cleaning it put, or other tries to re-use it are a waste of time. I have personally tried to clean at least 50 of these things and have failed every time. A new IAC is around 100 dollars and it takes a good tech about 1.5 to 2.0 hours to change it. The recommendation I have for you to rectify your stall condition would be to have the IAC valve replaced.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this also fix the MGCLT relay that is clicking?

That is possible. The MC CL relay is de energized when the crankshaft drops below a specific RPM