Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My brother's 2002 ghlander quit while wife was driving. Has

My brother's 2002 highlander quit...
My brother's 2002 highlander quit while wife was driving. Has not started since. She said no lights or anything. He replaced fuel pump thinking that was the prob. No luck. 2 days ago I look at car and find no oil on dipstick. The oil filter was loose and oil had all been blown out apparently while on the last drive. There is fire at plugs. Still not starting. Is there Hope?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: As said brother put in new fuel pump and we checked for fire at plugs. That's all.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
3/9/2016
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have a code reader to see if there any code set in the engine control computer? Did you run a cylinder compression test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do not have code reader. No - did not do cyl. compression test. Have a compr. guage. Only thing is; he's*****from me.
May I ask ? Is there a reset switch or procedure for fuel ?

There is no reset procedure for the fuel. There is no inertia switch. The fuel pump is controlled strictly by the engine control computer and circuit opening relay. As soon as the engine is being cranked over the crank position sensor sends a signal to the computer to activate the fuel pump. The fuel pump will not run with the key simple in the on position. Ideally if you can borrow a code reader or even by one these days for less than $60 it would be good to know if anything set in the computer. My concern is the fact that it was potentially run out of oil this could cause the camshafts to seize in the cylinder head possibly causing the timing chain to jump time. That is if it's a four-cylinder if it's a V-6 then it could be timing belt related problem. The compression test would show that. This engine whether it's a four-cylinder or V-6 should be at about 170 PSI anything below 140 usually is an issue. Let me know how things go or if you need any specific information regarding this issue. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to you at three or higher.

Do you need any further assistance on this or were you able to get it running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not been able to go back (3hr trip) Have asked my brother to find code reader. Don't know much about timing belt ; want to do compression test; still wondering if there is hope for engine.

Okay just checking and let me know how things go there's no way to tell whether there's hope for the engine until we run a compression test and check for codes. If you get to the car and you try and start it up and the engine cranks over unusually fast and doesn't start still or even worse it does not crank over and you hear large clunk that would not be a good sign.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician