Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 sequoia car was running and dashboard lights started…

Customer Question
2007 sequoia car was...

2007 sequoia car was running and dashboard lights started flashing. When the car was parked and turned off electrical power was off, unable to lock car and no dome lights. No power to ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

My wife was driving and the dummy lights started flashing on and off. When she parked and turned the car off the door locks would work. She said the car won't start and none of the interior lights are on or no chime with the door open and key in ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Not necessarily but she is 90 min from home with a bunch of kids with her

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/9/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry that you are experiencing this difficulty. Please allow me to assist. This sounds very much like an alternator output issue. If the dash lights are flashing, it is highly likely that the alternator is not producing sufficient voltage output to power the vehicle...in other words, the vehicle. before it was shut off, was 'running off of the battery', and not being charged by the alternator. Eventually, the battery will not have enough voltage left in it to power any of the accessories. Since it is 90 minutes away, taking a replacement battery will probably not have enough voltage in it to drive 90 minutes, and run the accessories (headlamps, etc). The recommendation I have for you would be to have the vehicle towed to your local shop and have the alternator checked and replaced if the output voltage is not 14.4 volts DC and at least 60-70 amps. I hope this helps you out. .

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Could the car still run and not have enough juice left to do door locks right when it was turned off?

Absolutely

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer