Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Where is the negative cable on 2010 prius, On my screen I…

Customer Question
Where is the negative...

Where is the negative cable on 2010 prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

On my screen I have lock malfunction when parking, park in flat place and apply brake securely

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I don't know, I hoping it something dumb I'm doing wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?

No, I don't think so, everything else was fine on the car. I cranked this morning got out to turn light off on porch, I think I forgot to put it in park before I turned it off.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/7/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

When you get this message on the instrument display 99% of the time this means that the 12 V battery is below a predetermined amount. Typically this is about 11 V. The computer does not have enough current flow/voltage to engage the electric Park drive motor on the transmission. This is not a negative battery cable issue this is simply the 12 V battery starting to fail. If you charge the 12v battery up with the two amp trickle charger you should be fine to get it going or simply get a jump start but eventually the 12 V battery will have to be replaced and it is located in the right rear quarter panel area remove the plastic trim panels and the covers and you will see the 12 V battery in the negative cable and positive cable there. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided you at three or higher. If you have any other questions feel free to reply and I will get back to you

Does that mean I need a new battery?

99% of the time yes this means the 12v battery needs replaced but try to charge it with a trickle charger and then have it tested. If it is the original battery it is at its end. 5 to 6 years is about it for the 12v battery.

I see you wanted a phone consultation but it keeps coming back failed for payment.

I tried to send a consultation offer. Let me know if you still want to do that if so you need to accept on your end.