Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna. The rear power passenger door…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Toyota...
I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna. The rear power passenger door only works from the power buttons - either the one on the front console or the one just in front of the door on the inside. From the outside, pulling the handle does nothing. From the inside the manual button for handle tends to get stuck in and then the door cannot open at all. This last part is the original issue with the door. Is the not opening from the outside now likely related? Which parts would be the most likely to need replacing?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician replied 2 years ago
Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

No those problems are not related one is simply a switch that needs to be replaced and the interior handle problem can be fixed with a minor adjustment, the metal plate the inner handle cable attaches to gets bent after a while which keeps it (the cable) from pulling with enough force to unlatch the door and initiate the motor to open the door. Remove the door panel and you will see the metal plate in question, simply take a flat headed screwdriver and bend the plate back toward the inside of the van and give it a test pull. Let me know if i can help with anything else!

Would the switch that needs to be replaced be accessible at the same time the panel is removed? What is the part name for that switch?

No the switch is on a completely different panel, that would be the power sliding door switch.

Did you need any further assistance with this issue? If not please do take a second to rate my service as that is the only way I get paid.

Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy