Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ok... I've got one here I can't figure out. Have a 2005

Customer Question
toyota sienna. Tonight went and...
Ok... I've got one here I can't figure out. Have a 2005 toyota sienna. Tonight went and picked the kids up from my mom's after they spent the day there, no problems. Got home, dropped them off, drove down the street to the store, came out and car wouldn't start. Had to call a friend to come jump it off.. first 2 cranks nothing, then started like it was no problem. Get home, turn it off, will not crank. Pulled and tested the battery, charger showed at 85%, so put it on the charger and not 5 min later it was showing 100%. Car still wouldn't crank. Cleaned terminals, nothing. Hooked them back up after cleaning and started. Turned it off tried again and nothing. Here's what I have noticed....
When I turn it over there is nothing, only a slight dimming of the lights, but more like it does when your starting a car, not a power drain..
Then I noticed a high pitched almost electrical or alarm toNE coming from behind the motor in the center near the firewall.. only makes this noise after I try to turn it over, stop but leave accessory on.
Then after a little research I tried hitting the alarm remote a few times and the car started but almost was sputter like for a min..
We have 4 kids and this is the only car, so I need help quick!
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/6/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When this occurs if a jump start will crank it over and allow it to start up every time this can indicate a battery fault.Even with the battery charger showing 85 to 100 percent there may be an issue with the battery internally to where the cranking amps are an issue and the battery needs replaced.I would have the battery tested. ( a local parts store will usually do this free of charge) to see if the battery needs replaced.If it needs replaced the parts store can usually sell one to you and some will even install it at no cost for you.

If this is or has already been tested and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Battery has been tested. It is fine. The cranking when it jumped the first time I think was probably just coincidence.. as I have had it crank several times sense but mostly it will not
Also. Twice last night, if I hit the unlock on the remote a couple times fast and turned it over quick it would start..

O.k.,this sounds like a security component at fault here.With you hitting unlock and lock a few times to get it to start usually indicates on of the locks isn't signaling properly to let the computers know it is unlocked.Then when you go and try and start it when the computer thinks the door has been opened without being unlocked it will cause a no start.

Usually this is the drivers door lock/latch itself at fault as it is the door that is used the most.I have had to replace the lock/latch before on several models for this issue here.

I would have the fault codes checked to see if any codes are set and then from there the codes diagnosed and repaired

This will require a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see if any codes are set.

I would have the door lock/latch signals checked as well for any issues to see if one needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Yeah.. well here's the other part of the story.. it's a COMMON failure on these models for the passenger side sliding door to fail. And of course mines been out about a year, and yesterday I did get in there and look and fiddled with it. I found the problem with the door, a part of the latch that pushes back and pulls the wire (I guess it's the latch unlock) don't know crap about door motors, is broken in half and not pushing the lever. So in my genius haha, I put a bolt through the slot in the arm that pushes the latch, so I don't know if that could be a problem. NOW, I am out here now and I checked the battery volts, and it has dropped about .25 since last night, and I pulled it out and put it on the bench so it's been sitting, BUT, I can't check the amps because my good tester has disappeared, I suspect kids.. ha. But when I put it back on the charger it is only reading 66% charge now.. and I also didn't consider that the other battery I tested the van with probably didn't have the same crank amps.. I bumped up the amp hrs on the charger and am waiting now.. is there any way to check the amps with a simple tester, all I have right now is the simple radio shack tester, which doesn't have an amp setting, as I said can't find my good one.
Thanks

Unfortunately you would need a good battery tester to test the CCA of the battery.If your wanting to test for a battery drain issue you would need a multi meter that reads milliamps.

Oh, and I did check the alternator and it's getting 12.4v. It may be the battery will see, just finding odd that it won't even try to crank at all most of the time, not even a click, then messing with the remote seems at times to do it.
Yeah I'm gonna hunt my good tester down.. it's here somewhere.. hoping it's just the battery, but if not is there a way for me to bypass, or just turn off the security to see if it's the problem.. thanks

Unfortunately there isn't a way to bypass it,if it is a security issue it will need diagnose and repaired.

A bad cell in a battery can act goofy like this here to where it won't start then it sits and starts.I have run into several batteries that have done this before.

Thanks Pete

Ok, good. Then maybe is the battery. I have someone coming over in a bit with a stronger CA battery than this one so will hook that one up and will see.. if that's the problem will accept and make sure you get paid. Lol.
Will get back to you.
Thanks

Sounds good.

Well. Charged battery, got it cranked. Went got a new battery, stopped and got a pizza and it died, will not start.... had someone try to jump it off and nothing...

Is there a security or theft light staying on or flashing on the dash at all when it will not start when you try and start it and just release the key?