Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The rear defogger doesn't work in my 2005 Sienna. I

Customer Question
looked into this at one...
The rear defogger doesn't work in my 2005 Sienna. I looked into this at one time, and checked the wires in the window (the defogger itself), and I checked the fuses, etc under the hood..... This is what I recall. I will look into this again soon, but I was curious if you have any tips/suggestion on this, and what would most commonly go wrong with a rear defogger.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/6/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. For starters, I am assuming that you will be doing the repair yourself. Do you happen to have a DVOM or Multimeter to test for voltage?

i have a multimeter. i will do it myself.

Ok, turn the defroster on and check for voltage at all the lines on one side and then the other. On one side they should read about 12Volts and on the other it should be much less(maybe 1-2 volts).

How do I measure this? I think I'm supposed to find a ground point, and measure along the wires. Well, when I did this, I found it to be around 0.04 V everywhere. So, maybe, I'm doing this wrong.... Can you clarify the points where I take the measurement?
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

New expert here. Your black probe of your voltmeter should go to any clean metal surface. While in the back of the vehicle that can be a little difficult with the door closed. The other option is simply use your voltmeter and scratch very carefully a little clean spot on the long vertical grid on the left and then on the right. When your voltmeter is across the entire grid you should have plus or -12 V. Depending on how you have the probes attached it may read reverse polarity. Your meter will compensate for that it does not matter you're just looking to see if you have voltage to the grid.