Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have just replaced the battery in my 1999 Toyota Corolla…

Customer Question
I have just replaced...

I have just replaced the battery in my 1999 Toyota Corolla CE, but it is still not starting. Before replacing the battery, it would make the clicking sound, but now it makes no sound other than to tell me keys are in the ignition and the door is open

Mechanic's Assistant: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Toyota Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes, if possible. I know the battery is connected properly and all the lights on the dash and the air kicks in when I try to start it, but nothing else happens

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I've checked the fuses, which all seem fine, I've wiggled the battery cables but that doesn't seem to be the problem either. And the terminals and cables are all clean as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?

I've started to wonder if something is up with my starter

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/5/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light handy?Hello, thanks for posting

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

No, I don't. It's automatic.

Thanks,e is no noise at all when turning the key to start in nwutral or park position?

Can you tell me how this no start condition began? Was there any sign of a pending starting problem before replacing the battery, I assume that's why you replaced it, what happened before this, did it just not crank after parking it?

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech