Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Today my wife lock the her 2011 Toyota ghlander Hybrid with

Customer Question

Today my wife lock the her 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid with our teenager inside and somehow that set off the alarm ...the teenager messed around with door locks trying to get alarm to stop...after the alarm stopped when they went to start car it advised them that there was a brake malfunction and an ABS failure and they needed to contact dealership ... when I drive car the brakes are definitely different and are catching a lot quicker ... is there a quick fix to "reset" the system ... maybe he triggered something with door locks or accidentaly hit a button ? Thanks, JO
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a code reader or able to jumper a couple of pins in the diag port (with some instruction from me) to pull codes from the ABS computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no code reader ... but could probably jumper with some help
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

See the illustration I have attached. Use a small piece of speaker wire and carefully insert between the two pins in the diagnostic port under the left side of the instrument panel. This is the port where you normally would plug a scan tool into. Then turn the key to the on position so the lights on instrument panel illuminate then watch the flash pattern of the ABS light. If there are code set they will be a two digit format for example a code 31 will flash three times a slight pause than one flash if there are additional codes they will follow in a two digit format. Post those code numbers back here. There will be a lot of lights flashing if you get confused simply turn the key back off turn it on and monitor the ABS light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ABS is 41 VSC is 45 exclamation point is 47 and 36
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
abs is 41 and 42
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vsc is 43 and 45
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Code 41 and 42 indicator low voltage to the ABS actuator. The 12 V battery maybe starting to go bad. Or if the alarm was going off for while all lights were on it could've run the battery low. I would have the 12 V battery checked anyway. 43 and 45 are indicating a malfunction with the accelerator/yaw rate sensor. There could be a problem there but it also could be a false code the next thing to do is to remove both battery cable ends and isolate them from the battery. Put a the jumper wire across the two terminals for about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the jumper wire then install the battery cable ends. This will reset the memory in the ABS/VSC system. Then start the vehicle up and drive it and see how it goes. Let me know. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that have provided toy you at 3 or higher.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...it is a hybrid so not sure where battery is ?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The 12V battery is located in the left rear quarter panel area open the rear hatch and remove the inner trim panel from the left side you will see the small 12 V battery there you will need a 10 mm wrench.