Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Replacing a head, I'm replacing the head gasket on my 1989…

Customer Question
Replacing a head Mechanic's...

Replacing a head

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I'm replacing the head gasket on my 1989 Toyota 4x4, 6cup 3.0L Engine. Not sure where to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yep

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I bought the gasket set, oil, oil filter spark plugs. In a lil nervous and scared, not sure where to start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?

I think there's a leak somewhere in the exhaust, white steamy thick smoke comes out the exhaust and from somewhere underneath in the middle of the pickup.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/4/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, directions are attached for removing the cylinder head to replace the head gasket. I would advise taking the head to a machine shop to have it checked for cracks and being warped and machined if needed

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

I'm so stuck, I can't get that EFI unit off the top of the motor. I've been trying for hours and I can't do it.
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Different expert here. Do you still need assistance on this request? if so, please feel free to reply.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert