Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry with the four-cylinder engine. It…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry with the four-cylinder engine. It has been rebuilt but the engine seems to have a lot of vibration at about 1800 RPMs. I am questioning if the balance shaft has been installed right. It had a little vibration before it was rebuilt, but nothing like it has now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes I would have no trouble getting the whole pan off. And I have had to time and balance shafts before but never on a Toyota Camry.

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

The motor mounts have all been replaced. And I made sure that they were all tight and in print position. The one on the automatic transmission looks like it could be a little misaligned but it fits only one way.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?

It is an automatic and has about 150,000 miles on it. All the vibration seems to involve slow speed and idle.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/4/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I agree with your estimation of the issue. The Engine Balancer assembly is absolutely critical to offset the inherent vibrations of the 4 cylinder engines. If it is not installed properly (it actually is 'timed'), you will have vibrations. The balance, if it was just bolted on and the precise timing of the unit when fitted was ignored, the pane needs to come back off and the balancer removed.

Set the engine to TDC. On the balance, set the punch marks on the ends of the balance shafts with the grooves on the balancer housing. Then fit the balancer to the engine and bolt it on.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I agree with your estimation of the issue. The Engine Balancer assembly is absolutely critical to offset the inherent vibrations of the 4 cylinder engines. If it is not installed properly (it actually is 'timed'), you will have vibrations. The balancer, if it was just bolted on and the precise timing of the unit when fitted was ignored, the pane needs to come back off and the balancer removed.

Set the engine to TDC. On the balance, set the punch marks on the ends of the balance shafts with the grooves on the balancer housing. Then fit the balancer to the engine and bolt it on

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.