Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1998 Toyota 4runner has had starting problems few months.

Customer Question
My 1998 Toyota 4runner...

My 1998 Toyota 4runner has had starting problems for a few months. I replaced the battery, alternator, starter and the ignition lock set. after the new lockset it started problem free for a week. then, no start. after a few hours of waiting, it started. 3 days later and it became an all night ordeal. I suspect a security system issue. Maybe a system reset of the ECU?

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I would prefer to find a diy solution. As of this moment, I'm broke trying to keep this vehicle running.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?

Not that I'm aware of. I bought it used in December of 2014. It had `

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/2/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Well, you just may be in luck. There are outstanding recalls pertaining to the anti-theft systems installed on Toyota vehicles such as yours. Get your VIN ready and call Toyota at(###) ###-####to find out if you are entitled to a free repair.

Best Regards.

Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer