Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

01 Toyota celiac GT 1.8l auto tran. My running lights do not…

Customer Question
01 Toyota celiac GT 1.8l...
01 Toyota celiac GT 1.8l auto tran.
My running lights do not work nor does the right highbeam. Bulbs are functional because the headlights work while the switch to turn on is not engaged. Parking lamps, license plate light is non functioning as well. And no interior console lighting
I've replaced bulbs , fuses, and drl relays.
Mods to car are, led headlamp for low beam, aftermarket DVDs player in console, and exhaust.
Again all bulbs are new.
How do I fix this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/2/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have a wiring diagram and a voltmeter or 12 v test light with a reasonable knowledge of how to use it?

I do not have wiring diagram and as far as voltmeter, I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I'm willing to give it the good old college try :)
No running lights, no plate light, no console lights. The low beam (h7 bulbs) work and the left hi beam works but (9005 bulb) passenger side doesn't work. The headlights work while in day time but once I turn on headlights or they are automatically engaged via the daylight/low light sensor. My brakes lamps work, my turn signals work as well but no running lights for night driving. I should also mention I don't hear the usual click from the relay when lights are supposed to come on, but I'm not aware of any relay for the lights/drl other than the ones in the engine bay in the relay/fuse block (the smaller relay box)

Let me look into the wiring diagram and we will start with testing the running light or taillight circuit. Just to clarify you do have daytime running lights.

During day yes front headlights work
When lights are activated I get no running lights/parking. I don't even get parking lights when I activate them. The only lights that work are the h7 low beams and one right fog lamp. Those are only lights that work when I turn them on

In order to diagnosis we will have to check One thing at a time one step at a time. Locate the fuse block on the right side of the instrument panel center console area. This is basically where the passengers left foot would be. Locate that panel and identify the fuse box the top left fuse is the taillight fuse with the taillights turned on you have 12 V to that fuse? Just north of that about 3 inches is the taillight relay it is the second relay up on the left. Does that relay click on when you turn the taillights on? Click this link and download the illustration.

Ok I replaced the relay and the tail fuse (tail fuse was blown and the 7.5 multi fuse was blown on the far right side "I'm assuming it was running light part")
So I have all new fuses and relays under hood and console. (Unless there is another associated relay somewhere) BUT NO PARKING LAMPS OR TAILLIGHTS FOR NIGHT DRIVING.. what is next
I forgot to mention therebis an aftermarket alarm installed. The lights used to flash but they as well don't work now every since this started

When you turn the taillights on the first click on the light switch can you feel the taillight relay click on and do you have 12 V to the taillight fuse?

No relay click and yes 12v at fuse. Which makes no sense to me...

That does not add up. If the relays not clicking there should be no power to that fuse that relay supplies power to the fuse then out to the lights. I'm going to opt out at this point. This probably is going to be a hands-on type repair some things just can't be tackled very easily in this type of format. This will open the question up so that if anybody has run into this type of problem before where there has been a security system added then they might have additional information for you.

Ok so I did a little fiddling around the fuse I placed in tail fuse blows every time I engage the lights.
Was getting power after I turned lights on but blew fuses.guess I should explained better.
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Please allow me to assist on this. My colleague Skyvisions is very correct in his line of diagnosis. You have now added that the tail fuse blows every time you engage the lights. Is this correct?

Ues
it blows

Ok. Let's do this. On each corner of the vehicle there is a marker light, plus the license lights. The wires to these lamps are Solid green and White with a black stripe. Disconnect every one of the 6 wire connectors and place a new fuse into the panel and re-engage the lights; see if the fuse blows again