Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 prius, engine shot wont kick in, previously,

Customer Question
converter was not working so...
I have a 2006 prius, engine shot wont kick in, previously, converter was not working so had to jumpstart vehicle from back. Can this be fixed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
190,000 miles - hybrid battery and gas.
3/2/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Can you give me more information as to what exactly is going on? Do you have a code reader that will at least read basic malfunction codes from the engine control computer? Is the 12 V battery fully charged?

No. I don't have a code reader and everything works once I jumpstart it. However, before it stop driving it was giving indicators of Red Triangle, brake signal, VSC, and engine with the word problem. These symbols mostly showed after driving a few minutes and or if I hit the brakes.

Is the car otherwise running okay at this time? Are the warning lights out? Can you get to a nearby AutoZone or similar parts store where in most states except Virginia in California they do free malfunction code reads. It would be good to know If there are any codes set in the engine control computer.

Sorry, the car won't budge. Thanks.

Can you borrow a scan tool Or I can recommend a good one for less than $60. I recommend everybody have one of the glovebox it will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees down the road. Is the 12 V battery fully charged?

What exactly is going on with the vehicle at this point will it ready on? Do all the warning lights illuminate on the instrument panel? When you put your foot on the brake pedal does the light in the start button turn green or does it remain orange? Will you be able to get a scan tool?