Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and I had 2 codes C1223 and

Customer Question

I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and I had 2 codes C1223 and C1241. I was told to unhook the battery and leave it for a couple hours and see if I still had the codes which I did. I no longer have those codes but now I have codes P0456 and C1201.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am trying to resolve the issue myself without the cost of the Toyota mechanic.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have just unhooked the battery posts and left it set for a couple hours. I was told it was a ground issue
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

First of all a clarification on your C1223 and C1241 codes. Somewhere along the line the C1241 code set and this code means that there was low-voltage to the ABS actuator motor. This could be due to a low state of charge in the battery or the alternator not correctly putting out enough power or the battery simply being run low at some point. By default then the C1223 code sets in the traction control computer detecting a malfunction in the ABS control computer which makes sense because of the C1241 code. Now onto the P0456 code this code indicates there is a small leak in the evaporative emission system somewhere. Usually the most common problem is a poor fitting gas cap or the gas cap seal is extremely hard and not sealing correctly. That is the first place to start by replacing the gas cap. The C1201 code is simply the ABS and traction control computer seeing a malfunction in the engine control computer anytime the engine control computer sets a malfunction code it will by default shut down the traction control and VSc systems and turn those lights on also. You should be able to reset the computers by removing both battery cables apply jumper wire across the ends of the battery cables isolated from the battery for about five minutes then put the battery cables back on the battery start it up and the code should be cleared. They will not reset until the leak has occurred again. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to at three or higher and if you need additional input feel free to reply and I will get back to you.