Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma, double cab. The rear door is…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Toyota...
I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma, double cab. The rear door is jammed, I have removed the access panel/trim from the inside, all the linkages are in place and working as far as i can tell, but they can not release the latch and open the door. I think the latch got flipped somehow and then shut hard jamming it. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
3/1/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually when this occurs like this here you might try using a flat blade screw driver to see if you can free up and open the latch prying around the latch linkage to see if it will release.If it will not release at all I have seen where the latch had to be broken out or cut out then replaced to correct this here.The other way to open the door to inspect and replace the latch if needed is to have a lock smith come out and see if they can use their tools to open the latch to locate and correct the fault.

I can say in most cases the latch will need replaced but getting it to open the door can involve prying or breaking it or cutting it out.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your response, the difficulty here is I can't get to the latch to do anything with a "screwdriver" etc. I have looked at it again and my thought is busting out the outer plastic cover around the door latch and cutting out the door handle, but I still don't think that will reveal the latch itself. Your suggestion of "prying around the latch mechanism" might be the only alternative, just hate to damage the body as that will be the only think to pry against. Guess I was hoping for a magic button hidden in the glove box. I was going to take it to a dealer but paying someone $80 per to scratch their head seems ridiculous. I will try a locksmith to see if they have run into this before.
Thanks
Jim

Your welcome.Unfortunately with an issue like this here it can be difficult to get the door to open and almost all of the time the latch is the cause needing replaced.The trick is getting the latch to release so the door will open to replace it.A lock smith can usually use their tools to open the latch in some cases or at least have an idea on how to open it so it can then be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete