Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Vsc light comes on then check engine comes on then flashes

Customer Question

Vsc light comes on then check engine comes on then flashes at lower speed or idle.vehicle then runs rough.the problem then went away for 3days. Came back 4 days later when raining heavy.took to Toyota they found no codes and recalibrate the 0 point sensor.problem showed up 4 days later.help!!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Anytime the check engine or VSC lights come on, there should be codes stored in the Pending or History section of the scan tool (if it is compatible enough to display these codes). What this sounds to me like is a cracked tone ring (the thing that the ABS wheel speed sensor 'reads') at the right rear. These particular vehicles are known for the tone ring to crack. This would result in an intermittent problem (depending on temperature/humidity, other factors). It might work fine one day and be faulty the next. and fine again the day after. If this car was in my shop I would be visually inspecting the passenger rear ABS tone ring; replace if any abnormality is seen,

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.