Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have a 89 Toyota Pickup.We have replaced several

Customer Question
electronic parts under the hood...
We have a 89 Toyota Pickup.We have replaced several electronic parts under the hood. It won't start cold without starter fluid, it sometime sputters and backfires, and you can't fully push down on the gas pedal without it sometimes just shutting off while going down the road.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/27/2016
Toyota Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 years ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

I think at this point, it would be best to do some testing with a scan tool and a lab scope. ALL those parts must have been expensive. Start doing your tests with codes first, then check wiring to the coolant temp sensor and check for a heavy carbon buildup in the intake.

Thanks, Ron

I believe the wiring to coolant temperature sensor is good. Someone suggested the cold start time switch might be bad and it is $225 for the part (don't want to buy another part with out knowing). Someone else suggested the starter silinoid might not be putting out enough voltage.

I already told you what needs to be done, are you willing to perform these actions?

Thanks, Ron