Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

It's ***** *****. I have a 93 Toyota surf. When I turn the

Customer Question
Hi it's ***** *****. I...
Hi it's ***** *****. I have a 93 Toyota surf. When I turn the key to off the engine keeps going normally. The dash goes off as usual but I can still drive the car? I have to stop the fuel supply under the hood to shut it down. Any help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all I have. Thought it must be a relay somewhere. It starts first time every time just won't turn off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
2/27/2016
Toyota Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

You're describing a defective ignition switch.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so. The ignition switch shuts everything else off and the wires aren't hot after I turn it off. I take it your referring to the actual wiring at the back and not the cylinder.

Okay, then that would mean that EVERY aspect of the ignition switch is working then?

Thanks, ***** ***** don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It all works as normal. Just engine won't die.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Clarify if you are referring to the I got ion club infer that houses the key or the wiring at the back of it please

You need to check the back feed voltage then to see what is staying on when you turn off the key.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do I do that, take it Toyota lol

If you have the tools and knowledge, you can do this all your self and I can provide you with shots of good and bad data. These types of problems are NOT always easy and may require professional help, it's not unusual.

Thanks again,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let's imagine for a minute it isn't the ignition switch. What else could it be to keep power on to the engine?

How about if we start to perform some tests and really find out what's wrong instead of guessing, we really want to diagnose this, but it's impossible by discussion alone. Let me know when you have some results to share so we can get this fixed.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm looking for possibles at the moment. Can you help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe something is back feeding the ecu or alternator

Anything is possible, that's why we really need to start some diagnostics and I'll help you through it once you begin.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Interestingly enough the battery died overnight because it got really cold. The immobiliser wouldn't recognise the fob it was so low. Got the car jump started. Then it just started turning off as normal. So it may have been the immobiliser; however the dash light blew a fuse which I just discovered tonight so if I replace that fuse tomorrow and end up with the same problem then I suppose it could be a problem in that circuit somewhere.

Thanks for the update, please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor