Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Could the exhaust manifold and air fuel ratio sensor cause…

Customer Question
Could the exhaust manifold and...
Could the exhaust manifold and air fuel ratio sensor cause my engine and the VSC light to come on in my 2005 Toyota Avalon.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/27/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 2 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

When the Check Engine light comes on, the VSC light is also set, which turns this system off. This is a self-preservation mechanism, in case the reason the Check Engine Light is on can harm or effect the VSC system. So- fix the reason why the Engine Light is on, and the VSC system will come back online.

With that said... if there is an exhaust leak, this will affect the A/F Sensor (Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor) because the sensior is now not getting enough of the exhaust across it to take an accurate reading. So, the exhaust leak should be repaired first. If the A/F Sensor code still comes back after the exhaust leak is fixed, then the sensor itself will need to be replaced. So, to answer your question, yes- either or both of these reasons will set the VSC and Engine Lights. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and I wanted to check in with you and see if you had any other questions on this issue?