Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Car has to warm up before it will shift into gear, 1996

Customer Question
car has to warm up...
car has to warm up before it will shift into gear
JA: What model and year is your Toyota?
Customer: 1996 lexus ls400
JA: Nice car. The Toyota Mechanic can help you with your '96 Toyota. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: takes a long time to shift into gear. Only backs up sometimes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have a transmission on hold. Was going to replace it
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Toyota Mechanic now?
Customer: sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Did you check the trans fluid level? Is the fluid burnt. Any warning lights on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No warning, fluid was low...Added fluid

Did the fluid have a burnt smell to it? When you engage reverse when it's cold will that click in faster than what it does in drive and does it slip fairly well at that point also?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No burnt smell.. car has to warm up before going into drive.....car drives forward while in reverse and neutral

Just to clarify you're saying if you have it in reverse the vehicle still moves forward and also a neutral it moves forward instead of sitting still?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct. The car will move forward in reverse and neutral

That is what I was afraid of. This is an internal failure in the transmission typically a planetary has come apart and has locked the transmission into the gear. It will need to be replaced at this point or overhauled.

Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided you at three or higher. If you need any other input feel free to reply and I will get back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Car is in limp home mode

Sometimes if you remove both battery and put a jumper wire across the two cable isolated for the battery for 5 min. then reinstall it will do a hard reset and may take it out of limp mode. But I wouldn't trust driving the vehicle like this with the transmission doing what it's doing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you're saying disconnect the battery and place a jumper wire from the negative to the positive wires for 5 minutes

Yes that is correct. This will reset all of the computers to based learning mode. It will not fix the mechanical issue you're having in the transmission. If the torque converter inside the transmission is not working correctly it will give you the sensation that you're in limp mode or no power from the vehicle.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician