Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Srs dash light isn't working (doesn't come on when key is…

Customer Question
srs dash light isn't working...
srs dash light isn't working (doesn't come on when key is turned to on). code check shows nothing wrong with airbag system
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

How are you checking for codes?

mechanic checked the computer port, said it showed nothing wrong with the srs system. the warning light doesn't show as the key is turned, it also will occasionally dimly light up when the vehicle is in operation. moist weather may have an effect on it.

You said the mechanic checked the computer port. Did they use a scan tool or did the use the jumper wire method to force a flash pattern on the SRS light?

scan tool for that ancient year model
the point is that the srs light ISN'T on, so it stands to reason there is no code. The truck won't pass inspection because the warning light system is faulty, it doesn't light up when the ignition is turned to the first contact, before the starter is engaged.
Thanks, Sky. I'll work that in this morning. It's gonna take a while before I can get back with you. I appreciate the help, now I'm thinking I might get somewhere....

Ok let me know the results.

willdo

ok

Sky, that diag port configuration was not to be found on the '95 Tacoma. I looked under the instrument cluster near the fuse box and all I saw was a single row of sockets. I'll take it in to the shop that ran the scan on it last Feb. to get help with that tomorrow morning

95 was a split production year this may not be OBD2 compatible. If there's no port under the dash you have the early version and the port is under the hood. In that port see the illustration attached install the jumper wire into those pins as shown in that illustration and let me know what happens with the SRS light.

Thanks, ***** ***** it tomorrow. Is that port near the fusebox at driverside front?

Yes that is correct let me know how it goes tomorrow.