Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2002 solara 2.4 the sat a year now when I run it

Customer Question
I have a 2002 solara...
I have a 2002 solara 2.4 the sat for about a year now when I run it about a mile down the road the oil psi goes to 0 it was fine when it was parked and at cold start holds about 70 psi after warm up it goes to about 5 to 7 psi
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
2/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

have you changed the oil/filter??? if not, do so as soon as possible. after a year, the oil will separate and water will develop in the bottom of the pan. if you have, I would suggest replacing the oil sender unit. while it is out, check the pressure manually to be certain the pressure is good.

chances are that the motor is fine, just needs some updates

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as I said I already changed the oil and filter checked it before and after oil change cold at 70 psi and warmed up 5 to 7 psi with two different manual gauges. also noticed a lot of blow by I did a compression test 3 of the cylinders were at 170 one was at 180 did a leak down test all cylinders passed. I have let it idle several times one time it stayed at about 25 psi and the other times it at 5 to 7 psi if you drive it it shows 0 but the engine does not sound bad. I don't get all that blow by when the compression and the leak down test was all good could their be something wrong with the vvti actuator causing the oil psi to bleed off I know the oil sending unit is on the side of the head and it is not throwing any codes

ok, no codes for the sender. it is not fuel control

I would drop the oil again and change the weight to 20-50. there may be some debris on the pick up screen or tube. it may take a while for it to break up and come out from the sitting. the 20-50 is a good oil for low oil pressure motors where the pressure should not vary more than 5-10 lbs cold or hot

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what your saying is to go from 5w30 to 20w50 the car was fine when it was parked 1 year ago it was started ever few months how is putting a thicker oil going to solve the problem. sorry I am questioning this I have been a auto and heavy diesel mechanic for 35 years and I have found over the years that you don't fix low oil psi problem with a thicker oil unless you are going to either get rid of it or putting off an o/h I want to fix this right I have not messed with a Toyota in a long time and it was a 22r. where would the blow by come from. sorry I am asking all this I am going to let my daughter drive the car she has 4 kids and I don't want to give it to her if a rod is going to come out of the block or it blow a seal out from to much oil psi from having 20w50 in it
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Different expert here. Please allow me to assist a bit on this request. While I am inclined to agree with my colleague on his input, I feel the need to add a few things here. First, sitting for a year, this may have compromised the oil pump relief valve. This is located under the oil pump assembly (you have to pull the pan to get to it). If the relief is sticking open after it warms up, your oil pressure is dumping back into the pan. Second, these engines are noted for sludge forming in the oil pan. You may be sucking sufficient oil cold from around the pickup screen, but there may not be enough oil physically entering the pickup to maintain proper oil pressure. If this car was in my shop, I would be pulling the oil pan off. I would be looking for sludge in the pan, and cracks anywhere on the oil pickup tube. If you see ANY sludge, pull the cam cover off and see if there is any sludge there too. If so, clean as much as you can and ensure that the oil drains from the head to the block are clean. When we see excessive blow-by, this usually means sludge. If the sludge condition is in the cam area, replace the valve cover, as sludge will be in there too, and the PCV system is sucking wet oil out of the valve cover windage tray.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert