Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

JUMPED WITH CABLES REVERSED, TURNS OVER, BUT WON'T START,

Customer Question
JUMPED WITH CABLES REVERSED ...

JUMPED WITH CABLES REVERSED

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

TURNS OVER , BUT WON'T START

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

What year and model is it?

When turning thre key on do all the lights on the dash turn on?

Have you checked fuses under the hood, especially the larger main fuses?

1997 CAMRY. DASH LIGHTS,TURNS OVER , NO START,NO FUEL OR POWER TO PLUGS. REPLACED ALL FUSES AND RELAYS.

Thanks for the reply,

Is it a 4 cylinder or V6? There are a couple of main fuse links in the fuse box about 1/4 wide by 3 inches long, there are fuse link segments inside which usually blow out if the battery cables are reversed, the fuses have clear enclosures so most ot the segments are visible, please inspect these I think you will see the problem is there. I can locate and attach a picture if you would like. by the way these are bolted in on the inside of the fuse box and the box has to be partially disassembled to get them out.

IT IS A V6.
WE CHANGED THE SCREWED IN FUSE
. CAN'T LOCATE ANY FUSEABLE LINKS.

Ok, give me a few moments while I look at a wiring diagram, do you have a voltmeter or test light?

WE HAVE A TEST LIGHT.

Does everything else work on the inside, all dashlights including the check engine light, all accessories, fan, radio, wipers , headlights etc, is there anything does does not work besides not starting? There are two of the oblong fuses were they both replaced?

ARE THERE TWO FUSES THAT SCREW IN ?
DASH LIGHTS , RADIO , HEADLIGHTS , WES.
DON'T SEE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT .
WE CHANGED ONE 100 AMP SCREW IN FUSE .

Ok, the check engine light not turning on means the computer is not getting voltage to it. That's why it's not starting. does it have voltage to both ends of the 100 A fuse that you replaced? Is this fuse about 1"x1/2 " inch with a clear cover on it? If so remove the cover and measure voltage at the filament.

TOOK FUSE BOX APART AGAIN , THERE IS POWER TO BOTH SIDES OF THE 100 AMP FUSE.
THERE IS A SPACE BESIDE THE 100 AMP FUSE WITH POWER BUT NO FUSE IN THAT SPACE .
THE WEB ADDRESS WON'T LOAD.
TRIED WEB PAGE AGAIN AND IT LOADED , MY MAIN FUSE IS AT THE FRONT OF THE BOX.

Ok, I'm still a little unclear, did you replace both of those long fuses with the blue top?

YOUR PICTURE IS DIFFERENT THAN MY CAR .
I ONLY SEE ONE MAIN SCREW IN FUSE .

Ok, now I get it, I'm very sorry but I misread your original post as it being a 2007 Camry, of course this changes everything, I'll need to start over and we can go from there if that's ok with you.

So far we have power to that main fuse which is good, I need to look at a diagram for this car and see if there is supposed to be a fuse in that empty spot that has power.

Please check the following fuses: fuse panel on the inside:

30A AM2

7.5A ignition

15A ecu ign

under hood:

40A AM1

check with key on, please use the test light to confirm voltage.

ALL FUSES CHECK GOOD.

Ok, the check engine light not turning on is the main problem, open the diagnostic check connector under the hood and see if there is voltage to the B+ terminal.

I've got to go offline for about an hour, will get back to you. while you're there at the connector see if there is an FP terminal marked in the cover.

I'm back online now.

IS THIS CONNECTOR UNDER THE DASH ,DRIVERS SIDE ?
PLUGGED IN SCAN TOOL AND IT CAME BACK ( NO CONNECTION )
FOUND CONNECTION UNDER HOOD , NO VOLTAGE TO B+.
HAS FP SPOT BUT NO CONNECTOR.

The scantool won't communicate for the same reason that there is no voltage to the B+ terminal, there is no voltage going to the ignition system and the computer is not getting voltage. The fp connector is not relevant at this time. 'll get back to you.

Remove the EFI relay, there should be voltage to two of the terminal sockets with key on, check one of the fuel injector connectors, there should be voltage to only one of the wires to the injector.

ONLY ONE EFI TERMINAL HAS VOLTAGE.(REAR,TOWARDS FENDER)
ONE WIRE ON INJECTOR HAS VOLTAGE. ( W/ KEY ON )
I NEED TO GO FOR NOW , WILL CHECK EMAIL TOMORROW .
THANK YOU

Ok, there is the problem, is the EFI fuse good and does it have voltage to both ends, that will narrow it down a lot.