Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Tundra will crank but not start, I pulled the throttle…

Customer Question
2000 Tundra will crank...

2000 Tundra will crank but not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Nice car. The Toyota Mechanic can help you with your '00 Tundra. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I pulled the throttle body and did a full clean, replaced air filter and put a change on the battery, still crank but no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do with your ''00 Tundra. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

There isn't a problem with the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Toyota Mechanic now?

I'm looking for options sure

Mechanic's Assistant: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/24/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello and thanks for posting

Is theis a V8 or V6 engine? How did this no start condition come about, did the engine quit while running?

After parking it? Please be more specific as to what happened before leading up to the no start? Have checked anything yet? Did it run before removing the throttle body, what was the reason for removing and cleaning it.

Thank you for any additional information you can provide so I can give you the best help possible.

It is the 4.7L V8. The truck was having a few troubles at idle intermittently. Trouble starting where I would use throttle to get it to start and occasional stalling when put into gear. The truck ran when it was parked earlier that day, but wouldn't start after that.
Best I can tell using a friend, the fuel pump is humming when attempting to start.

thank you, ***** ***** checked to see if it's getting spark to the plugs? If it's getting spark I think it might be a fuel pressure issue. Does it turn over normally like it has compression? By any chance do you have access to a diagnostic code reader?

Hello, you seem to be offline or not available to continue our conversation at this time, I will be glad to continue tomorrow morning.

I agree with the fuel pressure issue. I will replace the fuel filter tomorrow and see what comes of that. With spark coming from each plug and it not catching on any of the starting attempts, I don't see spark as an issue.

Thanks for the reply, please keep me posted.

Hello, I forgot to mention last night that the tundra does not have an external fuel filtrer, it is part of the entire pump assembly and not replaceable. Let me know if there is actual fuel pressure while cranking the engine, if it has both fuel pressure and spark a code reader would be very helpful, the computer may be missing an important input signal like engine rpm, throttle position, mass airflow sensor or ignition confirmation.

I also wanted to askif all the lights on the dash light up when turning the key on and if you have checked fuses under the hood.Anyway, some diagnostic code number information would help me pinpoint the problem and help with diagnosing it.

Ted, there is a fuel filter on the driver side mounted to a frame rail. It looks factory.The dash lights all come on normally, I will be checking the fuses today as well, a quick check did not reveal any that are blown. I do not have access to codes at this time, but am working on getting that next.I don't have a way to test fuel pressure at this time either.

Ok, lets first see if there are any codes, there are inexpensive diagnostic code readers available at autozone and similar parts stores and even wal mart sells them in the automotive section, it's worth having anyway for other problems down the road, they start at around $30 for the basic reader. Let's not worry about the fuel pressure until then. You could also connect a hose to the fuel inlet line and put it in a container, crank the engine and see if at least fuel is being pumped.

with the filter removed there is no fuel coming from the tank/pump.

Ok, that's pretty much it then, it needs the fuel pump replaced.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech