Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hooked jump pack up wrong on battery. alarm was honking. I t…

Customer Question
Hooked jump pack up...

Hooked jump pack up wrong on battery. alarm was honking. I hit the start with key and blew fuse. replaced and now turns over no start. have no sercuity light on dash either. tested alarm system and no alarm???? Help please

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes we are a body /used car sales lot and got a boss that is .... you know

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Replaced fuse , fuel pump, relays. even jump by the fuel pump and it gets fuel -no spark and we have no red light flashing on dash

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please identify the model and year of the Toyota you are working on, Thanks

1997 Camry CE with 6 cyclinder

Thank you. Is the car available at the moment?

Let's raise the hood and open the fuse panel. Look on the label for the fuse 100 amp ALT. This is a large cartridge, with a clear plastic window' that you look int to see the fusible link wire. Look closely, with a strong bright light; see if the fuse wire is burnt open.

It was blown and we changed it we have replaced relay, changed fuel pump, didn't you read what I have sent you people we also have reset theft system by turning the key 5 times and it arms the system light comes on the sercurity system that is on the dash. No start turn key once more light goes out, still no start.

Yes, I read your statement: Customer: replaced fuse , fuel pump, relays. even jump by the fuel pump and it gets fuel -no spark and we have no red light flashing on dash

It says "replaced fuse". It does not say which fuse you replaced. With that being said, and you had a big enough short to blow the 100 amp fuse, you have most likely fried the anti-theft module.

theft deturrent system - the light for sercuity comes on when cycling key five time- dont that mean it is working. check shop this mourning and they have remove the system or by-passed it. Is that possible or does it have to be there for computer to read??

If the system is not removed completely, the vehicle will not start.

ok it's back in now what

No, the anti-theft system and all of the wires needs to be completely out, and the vehicle returned to stock condition.

ok done that

Does the vehicle do anything? Crank/start/headlights work, etc?

it cranks over headlight on
no fuel and no spark we also have no check engine light

No check engine light is a bad sign. If there is no check engine light, the fuel injection computer has been shorted out. Before you do anything else, make sure you have a good EFI, ECU-B 40 amp Power fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. Verify you have power in one side of the fuse sockets with the key on. Then crank the engine and see if the EFI relay clicks or not. If you have power in the EFI, ECU-B and the 40 amp power fuses (clear window fuse), and the relay does not click, you may be looking at a replacement computer.

does it have to be programed to vehicle or can we get a used one.

1997 Camry control units do not need to be programmed. If you get a used one make sure that you get the exact same 10 digit part number. the part number is ***** digits, a dash, and 5 more digits; like this: 12345-67890

We just ordered one will rate your service when we receive it and install. If all goes well I'll rate you very well and thank you for your help. Until then the best to you.
Well we installed the new computer and still no start.

no start or no crank?

cranks no start

Is there a check engine light illuminated at the instrument panel now with the key in the on position?

no check engine light. we tried to hook our scan tool up and it keeps saying to check connection. I also found a 5amp fuse blown that says its ignition. Replaced it and didn't help. checked power at the Obd fuse under dash and I had power there. Just thought I'd let you know all things going on

Crank the engine. Working quickly, remove a plug and see if it smells like gasoline. then, with the same plug pout, crank the engine and check for spark.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert