Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The alarm is going off randomly about 1.5 hours after I

Customer Question
The alarm is going...

The alarm is going off randomly about 1.5 hours after I drive the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

2007 Toyota Camry

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

It's at the shop right now--second time in 9 days

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?

4-door sedan, V6 engine

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
It's been a lot longer than the estimated 8 minutes ... I've been looking online and I see at least 3 possible solutions to this problem. Appreciate an answer soon.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/23/2016
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the alarm is going off while the car is sitting it's because activity was seen on a door, hood or trunk ajar circuit. Factory security watches the ajar switches and if it sees a switch close when the system has not been disarmed the alarm will go off.

You may have a door, the trunk or hood that isn't closing correctly. If there is a door or striker adjustment issue, damage or something foreign preventing full closure then it can cause this. I've seen strikers that were misadjusted in a way the door appeared to be closed but it was only on the primary latch.

It may be a wiring issue. It isn't common but if an ajar circuit shorts to ground then it will cause this.

The most likely cause would be a bad ajar switch.