Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 Toyota Sequoia. I disconnected the battery to clean the…

Customer Question
2006 Toyota Sequoia. I...

2006 Toyota Sequoia. I disconnected the battery to clean the terminals. Now, when I try to start the vehicle it will start for about 1-2 seconds and then shut off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I think it has to do with the immobilizer/security system shutting the car off

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/20/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Are you using the same key that always started it before? Disconnecting the battery will not stop the factory engine immobilizer from working?

Does it have an aftermarket security/alarm system installed

Was the no start condition the reason for cleaning the battery terminals?

I am using the same key. The spare key also does the same thing. I was under the hood just to check the oil and noticed the terminals had some corrosion so I cleaned them. Starts just fine but then immediately dies. It's just the factory system. The rear hatch did get damaged a couple of weeks ago and the car alarm has gone off at random times. But never had a issue with it not starting.

Sounds like something electrical is disconnected, please check the mass air flow sensor connector or possibly a fuse blew during the battery cleaning, do all dash lights turn on with the key?

Do you have a 12 volt DC testlight or a voltmeter?

I do have a volt meter and all the lights on the dash come on as normal. Okay now the engine just started but now the rpm goes from 1500 to 300 back 1500 3-4 times and then shuts off. That's all within 5-10 seconds.
Not sure if it matter but the timing belt was recently changed.

OK, the air intake hose was disconnected from the throttle body, Oh well, I was close with the MAF sensor, very good, have a nice weekend.