Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I own a 2005 toyota Avalon xls. It has 86 k miles. I notice…

Customer Question
My name is ***** *****...
My name is ***** ***** I own a 2005 toyota Avalon xls. It has 86 k miles. I notice when I am traveling at a speed of 30-60 miles per/hr a whining sound as I place my foot on the break. It occurs on the initial compression of the break pedal. When I let my foot off the pedal and coast a little bit and reapply the break, I don't hear the whining sound
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
I am not sure if it is the break booster. New pads and resurfaced rotors were done recently
2/20/2016
Toyota Mechanic: john, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
john
john, The Car Guy

is the brake -pedal hard?

Normal pressure on the break pedal. When I make small incremental breaking I do not notice the whining noise. It occurs on the initial breaking from a higher speed
I don't think it is the master cylinder
Just had the break fluid changed too
I own a 2011 avalon and have not noticed the whining sound

does the sound come from the wheels?

Not sure
Not sure if it is a vacum line

did you do the brakes yourself?

No. Just had them done yesterday at the toyota dealer

did the noise start after he brake job?

did they use Toyota pads? or cheap aftermarket? did they list the part number on your receipt? it sounds like pad noise

part# *****
Or 04465-AZ007-TM TCMC brake pad W-Shim
Disregard firt number
Looks like toyota pad

they are oe...its either a bad pad or a bad cut on the rotors.. I would take it back if the noise does not go away.. Brakes need to be broken in over a few days.. But usually if they have a noise it will not go away.. If its still noisey Monday morning get it back to Toyota for them to double check and replace the pads if they are noisey

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you