Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I'm working on a 08 tundra 5.7. I resaled both cam towers.I

Customer Question

Hello I'm working on a 08 tundra 5.7. I resaled both cam towers.I felt I had a hard time with the timing. It set a p0011 I checked the timing it looks close to the picture in the manual. Is there a better way to set the timing
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a picture of the marks on on the cams at TDC#1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We use prose mandatory and the picture looks like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh auto correct I ment pro demand
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I think you misunderstood I needed to see the actual camshaft gears and chains with the marks like you have them set to. I have those diagrams that you just listed. That's the same stuff that's in the Toyota repair manual they just contracted from pro-demand.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you active test all four oil control valves can you make the engine run rough as it advances and retards the camshafts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the timing marks that I have. I tried to make it look like the picture in the book.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Click this link and download the illustration. It is difficult to tell from those pictures that you posted because I cannot see the backside of some of the cams. The illustration I'm giving you shows all of the marks but looking at what I can see it appears to be in time. If these timing chains are not new they could be stretched and that will cause the timing to be off. Click this link for a oscilloscope pattern of a one GR engine and you can see the slight difference in the scope pattern the chain was stretched about one quarter of the tooth and that's all it took.