Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My husband replaced the alternator in our 2007 ghlander, and

Customer Question

My husband replaced the alternator in our 2007 Highlander, and didn't disconnect the batterie first. Not it won't start, and the wheels are locked. Is there a way to unlock the anti theft device, and reset it?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Locking and unlocking the car. But hasn't reset it. It is in our garage, and he can't even move it to get on a trailer to bring it to a mechanic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No, everything else was fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The anti-theft should not have been affected by replacing the alternator without disconnecting the battery. When you turn the ignition key ON, does the dash light up like normal?