Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My husband replaced the alternator in our 2007 ghlander, and…

Customer Question
My husband replaced the...

My husband replaced the alternator in our 2007 Highlander, and didn't disconnect the batterie first. Not it won't start, and the wheels are locked. Is there a way to unlock the anti theft device, and reset it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Locking and unlocking the car. But hasn't reset it. It is in our garage, and he can't even move it to get on a trailer to bring it to a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?

No, everything else was fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/17/2016
Toyota Mechanic: EricFromCT, Toyota Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Toyota Technician

Hi. The anti-theft should not have been affected by replacing the alternator without disconnecting the battery. When you turn the ignition key ON, does the dash light up like normal?