Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1998 camry sometimes wont start
, tried to start this

Customer Question

1998 camry sometimes wont start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: tried to start this AM nothing at all . No click etc. I just came home from work. I tried to start exact same results. I turned on headl;ights to see if they would be bright . They were. I tried to start again and it started immediately. It has done this a couple times in the last month. I am not sure if the headlights were the key or not. It seemed to work tonight
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Are you 100% certain that you didn't hear any type of click or clunk? Based on what you tell me it sounds like the starter solenoid contacts are going bad. You usually can't hear it unless you have the hood open and standing at the front of the car. The only way to know for sure would be to have someone turn it to the start position and when it is not starting take a hammer or long prybar and smack the top of the starter with a whack. If the solenoid engages and starts to turn over you know for sure that the starter contacts are bad in the starter. Otherwise the only other way to find out would be to put a voltmeter or simple 12 V test light on that small wire that goes to the starter that is the engagement voltage for the solenoid when the key is in the start position. The only other thing to try would be shifted to neutral and see if it starts in neutral. If it does and will start then you have an issue with the neutral safety switch. Is not likely anything to do with the lights being turned on or off. I will only be online for about 15 minutes yet this evening if you have any additional follow-up questions feel free to reply and I will get back to you otherwise please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to at three or higher.