Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just changed the spark plugs in my 1997 4 runner (Limited)

Customer Question
and went to start it...
I just changed the spark plugs in my 1997 4 runner (Limited) and went to start it and itbwont start. The starter motorbengages andvthe engine strats for a split second then dies as if i have the firing order mixed up, but would be impodsuble because i changed them one at a time. This 4 runner has spark plug components i have never seen in a car, like on the passengerbside are these fuse box lookin deals that are connected to a long plastic tube that is the spark plug cap. Im mnot sure if i bent a fuel line on accident when taking rm out or maybe loosened a vaccum line ot somethin along thosr lines but i have inspected the engine and nothing i can see anyway that looks wrong, bent, or broken. Also i put the old plugs back in even and it does the same thing so obviously i screwed so.ethmng up, can u possibly tell me what i did wrong??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/14/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

When you turn the key to the on position does the yellow check engine light illuminate? Do you have a code reader to check for malfunction codes that may be set in and to control computer?

it does, and i do not have a code reader.
Response??

Can you get To a nearby auto parts store and borrow or rent a code reader or I can recommend a good one for less than $60 that I recommend everyone have in the glovebox it will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees down the road. Did you check for ignition spark? When it quits running do you still have ignition spark or does the spark quit?

Well what is the code reader you recommend? And are you saying i reset something on the computer when changing the plugs? And can i reprogram the computer with the code reader? And also im not sure how to check for engime spark, could you tell me how?

Is this a four-cylinder or V-6 engine?

V6

Okay, let me gather some things together and I will reply with answers to your previous questions and a little more detail on what I'm trying to get you to do. This may take 10 or 15 minutes I'm just finishing up with a job in the shop.

Ok thank you.

OK

Did you get a chance to get some things together?

Working on it now.

Perfect

Click or the link below It is the code reader that I strongly recommend it is relatively inexpensive and will actually give some data list under the live function. As far as your questions previously you cannot change or program the computer or reset it with a code reader on these older ones. You need the code reader to see if there any malfunction codes that would be set in the computer these codes would give us a better idea how to proceed with diagnosing this problem. Your system is designed with three ignition coils and three wires each ignition coil fires two cylinders at the same time one on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust stroke. If you did not get one of the coils plugged back in or damaged one of the wires it will cause the IGT and IGF circuit to shut down which will give you the exact same problem that you're describing. Having a code reader will let us know if those codes are set in the computer. For checking for spark simply remove one of the ignition wires that does not have the coil attached to it place a screwdriver in the end of the wire holding near a ground component have someone crank the engine over and see if spark is coming from the ignition coil wire to ground. Wear insulated gloves so you don't get shocked this should jump about 3/8 inch to ground. If you removed any ground wires on the intake manifold make sure they are clean and tight this will cause the problem that you have also. This is not likely a fuel pressure issue something got disconnected that is computer-related or ignition coil related. Possibly one of the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor connectors double check everything let me know what you find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050VONTS?keywords=creader%20vi&qid=1455489567&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I got a cose readet pligged it in and ran diagnostics and the reader said that there were no DTC'S stored in my vehicles computer currently. So what is the next thing to do of it is saying no parts are malfunctioning??
Are you there? I got a code reader earlier plugged it in and ran a diagnostics and the code reader said no DTC'S found in your vehicles compute?? What are my options now?

Did you recheck all of your electrical connectors? Did you make sure the harness to any of the ignition coils did not get disturbed? When it stops running do you still get spark?

Electrocal connectors are all good I went to the auto parts store yesterday to buy a code reader and called a cab, will be in the driver get to talking on the way to the store and long story short he ended up stopping at his house which is closer than the auto store in grabbing his code reader and letting me use it for a few minutes but ended up plugging it into the wrong port so that didn't work out and now I have to go get the code reader that I was going to get in the first place once I do so will will text message you back with the codes that are coming up on the code reader. Sound good?

OK the DLC port under the dash is what you need.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician