Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The front left airflow in my 2009 Sienna XLE does not seem…

Customer Question
The front left airflow...

The front left airflow in my 2009 Sienna XLE does not seem very strong when directed to the floor level resulting in my feet being quite cold. Not sure what the layout is for the actual vents, but seems insufficient to keep the driver warm. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If possible

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/14/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have dual automatic climate controls or manual controls with no left or right differential? When you turn the temperature to Max heat and Max cold do you get the same temperature on the left and right sides and are you getting maximum heat out of it. If you use a digital probe you should be somewhere in the 130° range directly at the vent. When you switch to the vent only you get even air output on the left center vent as you do on the right-center vent then also on the outer vents? Does the blower motor work on all speeds especially high?

I have automatic controls which allow digital settings for temperature for driver, passenger and rear. I do not have a digital probe to test temperatures. The blower motor works on all speeds. It just seems that there is not sufficient airflow going to my feet compared to when I direct the airflow to my face or to the windows to defrost them. The airflow from the vents feels even to me although I have not tested the outer vent on the passenger side.
I have not looked at the ductwork, but wonder if there is not a large enough outlet for the driver's feet. I previously drove a 2002 Honda Odyssey and did not have this issue.

First a couple of things for you to try. If you have it in auto mode a lot of times it will try and split the airflow between the defroster and the floor. You may need to override the auto mode and this will keep the air strictly to the feet. Also a big thing that people overlook is the very outer vents will always blow air. If you close those vents with the mechanical mechanism on the vent itself this will force all of the airflow to the floor. This will give you maximum heat and air flow to the floor. You would not need to open those vents up unless the Side windows start to fog up but there usually is a small window vent that will push air across the side of the window. This normally will solve the lack of heat or air flow to the floor. If one side of the dashboard or floorboards are colder than the other you may have a restricted heater core. This is not likely a mechanical issue in the doors within the heater box itself. If all of the other modes are working fine then close the outer vents on both sides and you should be good.

I never have they system on "auto". It is typically set to send airflow to the defrost and floor. I have not closed the outer vents but will try that to see if it helps.

Just select floor only set it to high and close the other vents and you should be fine. Just make sure the engine coolant temperature is reaching at least mid point and the temperature of the air is sufficient.