Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 camry 4 cyl new fuel pump, relays good but no fuel

Customer Question
2003 camry 4 cyl new...
2003 camry 4 cyl new fuel pump , relays good but no fuel pressure
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/13/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Welcome, my name is***** am a verified expert automobile technician. I, and all others like me are neither employees nor agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell our Expert knowledge to customers. I do my best to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, please let me know what you need from me so you’re satisfied with my efforts and reward me with a Positive Rating.

Well, this shouldn't be very hard to diagnose (famous last words ;-). Go to the fuel pump module and check to see if there is voltage at the Blue/Black wire while a helper turns the ignition ON. If there is good voltage (11 volts or more), then check the Whitr/Black wire for ground. If both voltage and ground are OK, and there is not 44-50 psi fuel pressure, the pump is not working as it should.

Please let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Best Regards.

ok I have no voltage on blue/black wire with key in ON position . but if I try to start the car the voltage jumps up over 11volts . same on black white wire

what kind of fuel pressure are you getting with 11 volts at the pump?

none . had no pressure with the other pump either . you can hear it come on but no pressure

Well, if the pump comes on, but is not pumping any gas, then either the tank is empty or the pump is bad. Can you check and see which one is it?

plenty of gas in the tank and like I said the prior pump had same results . im kinda dumbfounded here lol . don't know if it matters but I just did timing chain and had head rebuilt , put it all back together and here I am .
denso pump
any ideas why I don't have good voltage when I turn key on

Well, the pump brand doesn't tell me whether or not it is doing its job - I've seen brand new Rolls Royce pumps come defective right out of the box. If you're not sure about this one, take it out and try it in a bucket of water - don't worry, you can air dry it afterwards.

If you're wondering if there is something wrong with the timing chain, plug in a Noid light on an injector connector and try to start the engine with starting fluid. If the engine starts and the Noid light flashes, then you have a problem with fuel delivery, most likely caused by a bad fuel pump.

So, it looks like you've got a couple of things you need to check. Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.