Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do I program the wireless remote Toyota 4runner 1999…

Customer Question
How do I program the...
How do I program the wireless remote for a Toyota 4runner 1999 I've tried the key in and key out open and close driver's door so on and so on and I've also tried the key in key out lock and unlock 5x and I can't get it to go into programming mode how do I fix that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/14/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Where did you get the remote? What procedure specifically did you try? Did the door locks respond.

I got the remote from ebay it is exactly the same as the original.I tried
1. Start with the following conditions: you are in the vehiclea. Key is out of the ignition
b. Drive door is open ( all other doors are closed)
c. Driver door is unlocked (other door locks don't matter)2. Insert the key into the ignition (don't turn it) and pull it out.3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:a. Cycle the power locks 5 times. Use an even pace and try
to go relatively fast.b. Close, then open the drivers door.4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:a. Cycle the power locks 5 times (same as before).
b. Turn the ignition to ON then back to OFF.
c. Turn the ignition to ON then back to OFF.
d. Remove the key from the ignition.5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should cycle (automatically)
indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1
if the locks do not cycle at this point.6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:a. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter
simultaneously for 1 second.b. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds.
Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle ( LOCK then
UNLOCK) once-- indicating successful programming. If
the door locks don't cycle, or cycle twice. Repeat steps
6a and 6b--this remote has not been accepted.c. Repeat steps 6a and 6b for EACH transmitter that will
operate the vehicle. Including any old transmitters.7. Close the driver door.no the locks did not cycle

Procedure that you are using is the correct procedure with the exception that instead of cycling the key twice you could cycle the key onces and pull it out that is the ad mode cycling the key twice is a rewrite mode. Do you have the vehicle identification number for your vehicle?

I need the VIN so I can check the options on this car. Has any remote ever been program to it?

JT3GN86R0X0096229

Based on the vehicle identification number I did confirm that this truck was equipped with wireless door locks from the factory. This means you have one of two options either the body ECU which is part of the left instrument cluster/fuse block assembly is bad or the signal going to it from the door locks is not sending the right input or you're not doing the procedure specifically as you have listed out. At this point you cannot even determine if the remote that you got is any good because the system has to go into recognition mode and that would be identified by the single door lock cycle when the procedure is carried out. You might try and get someone else to walk through that procedure the biggest mistake that is made is usually with the door locks. If you do it too fast or too slow it won't work there is a sweet spot that you have to get you literally hit the door locks 10 time 5 on the unlock five on the lock it has to be five complete cycles. Let me know how things go.

Another option which the vehicle identification number does not tell me and that is if this has the port installed RS 3000 system. If it does there will be a module up under the instrument panel there is a button on the side has to be pushed click the following link below or copy and paste to a new browser and read the service bulletin see if it applies to your vehicle and the security system that you might have installed on this. It is important to make sure that you have the right or remote for the right system also.

http://www.toyotapart.com/TOYOTA_VIP_RS3000_PROGRAMMING_T-AX99-005.pdf