Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have spark and fuel at rails on my 88 4Runner 3VZE but no…

Customer Question
Have spark and fuel...

Have spark and fuel at rails on my 88 4Runner 3VZE but no injector pulse. Have trouble code 51 would the CTP make the ECU not pulse my injectors?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This is a new engine never been started I have 12 volts to injector plugs but on both sides of the plug like Im not getting a ground. have checked all my grounds and they are good.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/13/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello , thanks for posting

The ECM can trun the injectors of if the is no sprk confirmation signal from the igniter, it will shut off when there is no ignition information signal (IGF). The first thing to check is if there is spark to the plugs. then check for any fault codes that may be stored in the computer, have done that yet ? it's OBD1 and this can be done using a short piece of wire connected To terminal TE1 and E1 with the key on the check engine will flash a two digit coed by counting the flasher, for instance a code 12 would would be a distributor problem ((PRM ) sensor.

I had stated I was getting a code 51. I have manual trans/my A/C switch shouldn't stop pulse. I asked if my CTP would stop the ECU from sending a pulse?
I had also mentioned I have spark and fuel at the rails.

OK, the code 51 is irerelant it just means that the a/c dash switch is in the on position. Im not sure what the TCP stands for, please explain, are there any other codes now?

CTP closed throttle position
you have stated the ECM can trun the injectors of if the is no spark what is that?
no other codes

With no other codes present it's going to be a little difficult to diagnose, You have spark and fuel pressure

The ECM can turn the injectors offd ue to an ignition signal loss, no start signal from the starter to the open circuit

opening relay, if there is fuel pressure this relay is not the problem. the computer turns the injectors off/ om with a ground to the other wire on the connector. The computer is not doing that if there is no injector pulse measured across the connector while the engine starte or running. I'ts possible that the computer itself is malfunctioning. C check the connections the ECM, pull each connector off and check for corrosion, loose connectors etc, Check the ground wires from the connectors , they are all brown- black, should have aero ohms or less to a metal surface? body gound .

That's my next test, testing of the ECU. But if the ECU doesn't see strong enough spark it won't pulse the injectors is this not correct?

The computer responds only to an off/on signal which comes from the igniter module which then sends a spark confirmation signal back to the computer to verify there is spark, a weak spark may not be recognized by the and may see this as a no spark.

I will run the test and get back with you

Sounds good.