Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Iam I have a 98 Rav 4. When I drive about 20 minutes a

Customer Question
Hi Iam Henry I have a...
Hi Iam Henry
I have a 98 Rav 4. When I drive about 20 minutes a beeper comes on. When I press the 4WD button the 4WD engaged light comes on the and the beeper goes off. I live in Belize now where it gets quite warm. At this time of year when it is cooler in the low 20C it does not do it, so it seems temperature related.
I don't like driving with 4WD on when traveling on the highway 60mph.
I used to work as heavy duty mechanic, but never had much to do with diagnosing cars and electronics.
Any suggestions.
Henry Oegema
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
2/12/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this sounds like one of the vehicles 4wd components may be at fault at certain temperatures outside.This may be an issue with a sensor or actuator for the 4wd system needing replaced.What needs to be done from here first is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need to be diagnosed to locate and correct this issue here.If you have already had the codes checked or can get them checked let me know here what the codes are as this will make it easier to help diagnose the fault.If you cannot do this here someone that can check the codes or shop or dealer will have to do this to help locate the fault.Most likely this is a fault with a sensor or actuator on the differential or transfer case needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete
Thank you for a reply.
Here in Belize nothing comes easy. The Toyota dealer is 80 miles away and is as corrupt as most businesses here.
Lying is as normal as breathing.
Making duplicate keys and selling them so vehicles can be stolen was on the news not so long ago.
A few months ago I had the codes read and nothing showed up. But that does not mean there was no code.
They may simply not be interested to fix it. So they charge $50.00 to scan and send you away.Can you tell me which sensor could be the problem and where it is located?
The sensor may be cheaper to replace then another scan.
Is the actuator external and removable or is it internal and requires the removal of the entire transmission and transfer case?
Is the actuator electric or does it work by vacuum?
When I press the 4WD button a small plastic solenoid valve opens under the hood on the fire wall and engine vacuum sucks air in through a little filter on top of the solenoid. What is that for?I have checked to see if the 4WD is locked up all the time by raising one side of the vehicle and turning a wheel by hand.
With engine off and transmission engaged, front one turns forward the back turns backwards. Seems normal to me.
With engine on and the transmission in neutral, they turn freely by hand, whether the 4WD button is pressed on or off.
With engine on and in gear, both front and rear turn and I can stop either front or rear and the other speeds up.
So I think the actuator does not work.
I don't really care much about that, but would like to know what makes the beeper go off.
How can I shut it off??? What else sets the beeper off?
Does the computer reading the temperature sensor for the cooling fan, affect the engine settings when 4WD is engaged?
Henry

Unfortunately it is difficult to say for sure which component is the cause without seeing and testing the vehicle.This will have to be done to locate and then repair this issue here.Unfortunately I dont want to take a big guess at the fault so the codes do need checked and diagnosed properly to locate and repair the issue here.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will take until some time next week before I get another scan.
Henry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You use the phrase "repair the issue here" Shall I assume you mean to bring the Rav4 to you.
Maybe you don't know where Belize is. It is south of Mexico.
I informed you of the difficulty of getting a reliable scan here in Belize.
It is a typical third world country. Reliable mechanical service is very hard to find. Most are just backyard mechanics.
Even those who have a scanner would not understand much of what they read.
The average grade 8 exam mark was 48%. 54% failed it. That's the mentality that works on modern technology here.
So I paid $28 to get some answers from people like you. I assume you are in the USA
So far you have been of no use to me to explain probable causes for the beeper to be activated and why engaging the 4WD button shuts it down. If you don't get paid it's because I didn't get any answer and I am out $28.
If I could get reliable diagnostics here I would have done that. The one mechanic who does the occasional repair work for me doesn't do scanning because he is honest enough to say he doesn't know enough about the electronics.
For now I may just unplug the connector from the 4WD switch and plug it back in when I need it.

I apologize for the delay.Unfortunately I didnt mean to bring the vehicle to me.

If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.I can also open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician