Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Sienna 04, a/c is not cold, compressor turns on, freon is…

Customer Question
Sienna 04, a/c is...

Sienna 04, a/c is not cold, compressor turns on, freon is ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This happen also a few years ago and it went away by itself. Just turning off and on the switch, Can the switch cause this?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
2/2/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

When you say your Freon is okay can you give me the pressure readings on the low and high side with the compressor running ?

I don't know much about this, I have a cheap meter the one that comes with the freon, it was in the red area. Sometimes it will make like a sound of a loose belt, but they look tigh. Since it stop cooling it haven't make the sound.

In order to be able to provide you with a clear answer I need to know the actual pressures. There are some auto part stores that will rent you a full set gauges and if you can get em the actual reading with the compressor running we can work from there.

I found this info and is working now, it was the relay.
"First things first, I would recommend, if it hasn't been done yet, replacing the ac compressor clutch relay (labeled MG CLT in the smaller fuse box in the engine compartment) or swap it out with the horn relay to verify that this is not the problem. There was a batch of bad relays on these vehicles that worked intermittently after a few years."

That would sure do it. Glad to hear you got it resolved. If the relay was bad then the compressor was not turning and the pressure would have also shown that. Thank you as well.