Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1987 22R Toyaota pick up. I am the olny owner and I…

Customer Question
I have a 1987...

I have a 1987 22R Toyaota pick up. I am the olny owner and I don't run it often anymore. I have let it go as long as 6 mos without starting. Usually a little squirt of starter fluid and some pumping of the accelerator prior to cranking brings fuel from the tank and it both idles and runs fine. This time however it will turn over and run great but only with a steady stream of starter fluid. I think the fuel pump isn't working. I was going to replace the fuel pump and filter and try again. Doesn't cost much so I thought I woudl try this first. What do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This time it sat for about 9 months. Carb seems to be dry when no starter fluid is being used. The fuel line looks to be intact but there is no telling what kind of crud is in the tank, line, etc. I also thought about draining the fuel line and tank as well as the pump and filter replacement

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/31/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 years ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow m,e to assist you. Before you invest in a pump, disconnect the supply like either form the pump to the carb at the pump, or at the carb, and crank it over. See if you have fuel. Your needle valve in the carb may be stuck closed; when this happens, the fuel is not admitted to the float bownl

Then let me know if you have fuel at the line/pump.