Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have 2006 tundra 4.7 liter with new maf sensor new cats

Customer Question
and new o2 sensors and...
I have 2006 tundra 4.7 liter with new maf sensor new cats and new o2 sensors and still getting p430 and p420 codes
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/31/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Tundra.

What brand Oxygen sensors and Catalytic converters did you install?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Denso sensors
Magnaflow converters

The Denso sensors, did you install just the post ones, just the pre-cat ones or all 4?

How long ago (miles) were the Magnaflow converters installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Converters in 1 month ago and post sensors 2 weeks ago

The problem you have will come down to just the catalytic converters installed and not the sensors. Did you price both the OEM Toyota ones and the Magnaflow? What was the price difference?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hundreds of dollars difference
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Almostt 1,000

Yes, the price difference was because of the PPRG content that was put into the catalytic converter construction. Here are just a few links to this information (just in case you didn't already know)...

Catalytic Converters - Explained

and

Construction

These converters are also recycled after they have "gone bad" and sell for $100 each. They are melted down for their precious metal content.

Does this make sense?

Also, did you install them yourself or did you have a repair shop do it for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a shop install them

I am assuming that they came with a warranty so I would suggest that you revisit them and let them know about this. I would like to forewarn you that they may say something to the effect of "there is something else wrong with your Tundra" but I can for about 99.9% sure tell you that your Tundra is fine except for these less expensive converters.

As a common solution, you may offer to pay the difference between the more expensive converters and let them refund what you have already paid into this repair. This will depend on the shop and your finances.

I have seen this scenario countless times in my career at the Dealer so you are not the first person to have this happen. It's good that it happened so close to the repair because we see most of them last about 10,000 miles or just out of the warranty range with no recourse for the consumer.

Please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars) and know that I strive to give Excellent service. I am here to help as much as is needed.

Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu