Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Name is ***** *****, have a 1999 toyota camry that is…

Customer Question
My Name is *****...

My Name is ***** *****, have a 1999 toyota camry that is overheating. Replaced thermostat, still gets hot. Top hose is hot but bottom is ice cold. Did a block leak check test, showed no change in fluid color. Replaced timing belt and water pump about 8 months ago. Took top and bottom hoses off and purged 100 lbs pressure through radiator, water blew out fast. What else is there to check? Heater coil?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Pretty much covers it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/31/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is goung to be a partially plugged radiator, if the top hose is hot and the bottom cold, it can be nothing else, it may have come out fast when applying presure, but it is bypassing most of the radiator,Tim

My problem was not a partially plugged radiator. I bought a new one yesterday and installed it last night. Drove my car to work today and it overheated on the way home. Now smelling antifreeze coming out the exhaust with a little white smoke. I'm 99.999% sure it's a blown head gasket. Didn't need a radiator after all, wasted $100.00 and 2 hours of my time.
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH