Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Check engine light remains on after brief drives around

Customer Question

check engine light remains on after brief drives around town. Had both upstream 02 sensors replaced when code read the senors were bad.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Had cat converter replaced last year. Now mechanic says likely a computer problem?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Do you have the code number information that is currently in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the place has closed now, Is a parts store scanner as accurate as the shops?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Yes, mostly limited to engine and transmission codes, fine for right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to go by the autozone later tonite or tomorrow am and can give you the code. We have filled up, checked the cap, replaced the cat converter for leak in 5/15. When CEL first came on we replaced upstream 02 sensors since thats what the codes read.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate having those codes, there is no hurry on my part, I will be traveling for about four hours in the morning but I'll get back to you as soon as I can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Autozone code read out as thermostat problem
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, was the thermostat replaced? Unless you can give me the exact code number I can't be more specific than that, the autozone employeee are not technicians and sometimes thrir interpretayion of the code can be wrong.