Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a Toyota RunX. Recently the battery has been draining

Customer Question
Hi There I have a Toyota...
Hi There
I have a Toyota RunX. Recently the battery has been draining when the car is not in use. I attached a current meter in series with the battery negative lead and got a reading of 160mA. I started to remove fuses to isolate the circuit causing the battery drain and upon removing the 'DOME' fuse the current dropped to 20mA. Have checked dome light and boot light to see if the stay on but both turn off. When the car is parked glove box is shut and all switches are in 'OFF' position. Do you have any ideas what could be causing the battery drain?
Much Appreciated
Jonathan Rapley
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

There may be an aftermarket accessory wired into the dome light circuit, does it have an add on aftermarket alartm system? If so try to locate the fuses for it, most of the time they are inline fuses or disconnect the alarm computer, most of the time this is the problem. If any other aftermarket items like phone charger or GPS/Navigation is installed try disabling those as well, let me know if any of this helps and ee'll go from there.

By the way, what year is it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi There
The car is a 2005 model. There is no alarm or any other aftermarket components installed. Without a circuit diagram I cannot tell what other components are on the dome circuit. Have noted with the dome fuse removed the clock and stereo are not working. I guess I could unplug the stereo and see if the current drops, but have made sure the stereo is off when the key is removed. Bit of a mystery really.

Thanks for the reply

I am currently away from my home computer and have limited access to my files and the ability to reply , the radio still draws some current even though it is turned off but this should be minimal unless there is a problem with it. let me know if disconnecting it makes any difference. I'll see if I can access a wiring diagram if that doesn't help

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech