Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 1999 toyota tacoma which started leaking water on

Customer Question
the passinger side. I found...
I have a 1999 toyota tacoma which started leaking water on the passinger side. I found the fan motor housing wet and the under side of the floor mat wet, but not the front side of the mat. Can you help me find and stop the leak?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2016
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 year ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before we begin, was the AC being used prior to seeing the leak, or, was the vehicle in a large rainstorm? thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. We just had a 10" snow fall. I have had this leak for about 3 months and have cleaned out the AC drain. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply. What you probably have going on here is a blockage in the cowl drains. On either side of the cowl panel (which is open to allow fresh air to enter the heater box), there are drains that allow any water that enters into the cowl area to drain out. If these drain passages get plugged up with dirt, debris or other substances, the cowl panel will fill with water. This water can seep thru body seams and can also, if the water gets high enough, enter into the fresh air intake on the passenger side of the cowl.

The thing to do here is get a bucket of water and pour it into the cowl opening. Water should pour out from under the vehicle, from the bottom of the cab, behind the front wheels. Water should pour out at a rapid pace. If it dribbles, a strong wire (a coat-hanger works great) can be used to poke thru the hole and loosen any blockage found.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Your live call offer did not go thru. The site will send you information.

Your other phone call request (that you just did) did not proceed either.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had the mechanic run water over the air intake screen located in front glass for an hour but found no leaks. I have also had the AC drain cleaned out by blowing air and a rod to pull trash out it appears to be clear.

This issue here is not running water, it is water retention. Assuming the cowl drains are clear, and the cowl seams are good and tight, the front body seams on the firewall) have been known to leak, and, I just resealed the body seams on the back of the cab on a similar truck. Water was coming in from the rear cab panel and getting onto the front floor. Removal of the pickup bed was necessary to complete the resealing of the leaking rear body seam. You might want to water test the back of the cab. And the sunroof drains if this vehicle has a sunroof.

Additionally, if your vehicle has a sliding rear window, these too are known to allow water to get onto the floor, travelling under the carpet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The front passenger water leak was found dripping from the fan housing. It has nothing to do with the rear of the truck. I have check the AC drains and had them cleaned. I have a wire screen over the front intake vent to the fan housing that came on the truck when I purchased it. any more thoughts?

If you have water dripping onto the fan housing, your intake snorkel is leaking where it attaches to the cowl. This takes us back to clogged cowl drains on the passenger side. That, or the base of the windshield is leaking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do you get to this clogged drain?

You remove the cowl panel and use a pressure washer to blow the debris out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would you send me a copy of the procedure you have out lined for doing this? Thanks

You remove the wiper arms, the plastic panel, disconnect the wiper motor, remove the wiper linkage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this something I can do my or do I take to a mechanic or dealer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a Technical Service bulletin on this procedure? What would the number be?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get a copy of the TSB?

You might want to give this TSB to a good body shop.

Here is the TSB

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert